William H. ShawnManaging PartnerWashington D.C.
Mr. Shawn has tried over 100 bench and jury trials and arbitrations involving partnership, legal ethics, intellectual property, antitrust, banking, regulatory, and tax issues in Federal and state courts and administrative agencies. He has litigated hundreds of procedural and dispositive motions throughout the courts, and argued approximately 25 appeals before Federal and state appellate courts. Mr. Shawn also represents and counsels clients in national and international mergers and acquisitions, licensing, franchising, LBO’s, joint ventures, financings, and similar commercial transactions. He is also co-inventor of Method and Apparatus for Securing The Privacy of a Computer Network, Patent No. 9,621,539.
- George Washington University, Elliot School of International Affairs, BA, International Affairs
- 1973: The George Washington University Law School, J.D.
- 2004 – present: NetFax Development, Managing Member
- 2000 – present: George Washington University Law School Board of Advisors, Member
- 2000 – present: George Washington University Law School, Distinguished Alumnus
- 1999 – present: National Arbitration Forum, Arbitrator
- 1984: U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- 1982: U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- 1980: U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- 1979: U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- 1976: U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- 1974: U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- 1974: District of Columbia
Lectures and Presentations
- Present: George Washington University Law School, Professor of Law, Adjunct Faculty
- Law 6599, Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility Seminar
- Law 6218, Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility
- July 2011: “All You Ever Wanted to Know About Intellectual Property Law and Were Afraid to Ask” Paper and Presentation to Mississippi Bar Annual Convention, July 12, 2011.
- The George Washington University Law School Inaugural Symposium on Legal Fees in Complex Litigation and Transactions, October 13, 2011.
- “The US Credit Crisis Will Affect Personal and Corporate Liability for years to Come” The In-House Lawyer, November 2008.
- “Reduced US Government Interference in Accused Executives’ Defense Arrangements” The In-House Lawyer, October 2008.